Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Long Road Ahead

I just had my first physical therapy session today. Not the best news and am feeling a bit down. I basically have no quad, can't bend my knee and can't extend my knee. My ROM flexion is 78 degrees (I think normal is 110 degrees of flexion) and my ROM extension is -6 degrees (not sure what normal is). I need to greatly improve both of these. It will be a long, difficult task but as I said before Grin and Bear It.

I will go to the PTs twice a week and then need to do my exercises at home 3-5 times/day. How does one do that when you also work full time. I can get in 3 times: before work, after work and after dinner but I doubt I can get in more; maybe do some at lunch.

This is the frustration point and I need to see my ROM numbers improve to give me encouragement to keep moving ahead. So without further adieu, I on my way home to do my rehab exercises.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

One what day post-surgery were you able to walk on crutches?

On what day were you able to completely walk (although slowly) on your own?

:)
Kayla

Posted by Holly Marie said...

Kayla,

I was able to walk on crutches as soon as they woke me up from surgery. They put me in a wheelchair to get me out of the hospital but once home, I was on my own. I had a friend help me get into the house and upstairs. But, then I was able to hobble to the bathroom on crutches. My surgeon told me to go down to one crutch on Tuesday, 3 days after my surgery. I then went without crutches about a week after surgery. I am now walking very, very slowly and cautiously. Taking the bus is the worse as you can't bend me knee all the way in and I have a fear someone will bump into it.