Saturday, June 21, 2008

Behind the Wheel Once More

I got the okay to drive and took a spin the the grocery store. It feels so good to be able to be independent once again after one month. I did drive more slowly than I usually do as my reaction time still isn't up to par. The leg didn't like being in the position it was in for too long. Driving around town doing errands is one thing but I plan to drive to Pennsylvania July 3 and I know my knee will squawk as the trip is 4-4 1/2 hours.

So, this time one month ago, I was lying in bed just getting back from surgery. I definitely see an improvement since then. However, you just don't see much happening from day to day and that gets frustrating. The PT is trying to explain to me how to walk and I am just not getting it. You basically lead with your heel and then go up on your toes and bend your knee, then straighten it. However, I just can't get it. Hopefully it will come to me as walking the way I now do is really bugging me and my foot hurts as I'm not doing what I should be doing.

My knee is still swollen but that's how it was after I injured it. I think it took at least 2 months + for all the swelling to go away so I don't expect anything less after surgery. It's also starting to itch. Now, I remember as a kid my mom would say that meant it's getting better. I'll just put my faith in the folklore and believe it is getting better.

No comments: