Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Getting Here to There

Well, it's now 2 weeks (plus 3 days) post-surgery. I am back at work. I take 2 buses to get to work as I can't yet walk 5 blocks to the Metro - 3 blocks is all I can do and it takes very long to do that and wears me out. If you will be having surgery, plan that everything will take longer once you are out and about. You will walk slower and may need to take alternate transportation like I do. If you take the bus, like I do, you may be very protective of your knee and be a bit fearful that someone is going to bump into your knee as you can't bend it all the way to bring it closer to the seat - so it sticks out in the aisle a bit. Also, don't be surprised if no one gives you a seat. I was on the Metro this morning and no one offered a seat to me. I prayed I would be able to maintain my balance.

I just had my 3rd PT session. I was late because of trying to get down my new transportation connections so I was only worked on for 15 minutes. However, the PT did manage to inflict pain in those 15 minutes. She then set me up on the machine that stimulates your quad muscle. I actually looked forward to this and the accompanying "icing" that comes with this was a relief.

I spent last weekend by myself "trapped" in my house. I could not really walk anywhere and I am not able to drive yet. It was very, very hot and humid in DC so sitting outside was very uncomfortable and like taking a sauna. I had some movies to watch but my DVD decided to break so I was really, really bored. Finally, on Saturday evening, my neighbor offered me a ride to the grocery store. I felt like a dog getting a ride in the car and a chance to escape the house. Plus, I was finally able to buy some vegetables which I was craving. I had a great salad and grilled salmon for dinner.

So, I am looking forward to walking beyond a snail's pace and to driving my car so I can finally go out and do something. Maybe this weekend?

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Haha I laughed at the dog in the car comment as I know how crazy I'll be going sitting in bed all the time. Luckily I can get up and move around pretty quickly but I know it'll be slow moving in the beginning.

Did you notice any change in your appetite after the surgery? I'm trying to gain a little weight in the next two weeks as I know I'll lose some just after with the pain pills and lack of exercise. No good!

Take care :)

-Kayla

Posted by Holly Marie said...

Kayla,

I didn't have much of an appetite for about 10 days after surgery, which was good, as I wasn't getting any exercise. I basically ate soup and saltines with some ice cream as a treat. However, now my appetite is back to normal and I assume the pounds will be coming. Hopefully, I 'll be able to get on the exercise bike in a week or 2 to burn some calories.