Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 5 Post-Surgery

It’s 5 days post-surgery and it’s time for the fun to begin. I had an easy surgery and post-surgery. I’m down to one crutch but Dr. K. wants me to go crutchless today. It’s 11 am and I still haven’t done that yet. Maybe later this afternoon! I’m also hoping to sit outside on my porch after “work” (I’m telecommuting) as it is so nice out. DC is having a great Spring. I’m down to 1 percocet every 6 hours and sometimes can wait even longer. My knee, I guess as it should be, is still quite swollen, which prevents me from bending it and it also feels live a vice is on it.

My PT starts June 4 and I’m preparing for that by doing some movement exercises now and anticipating that with more movement will come pain. As they say, no pain, no gain. I’m willing to put up with the pain (to a point) as long as I can see/feel my knee improving. The hard part comes when you just don’t feel anything is happening. And, as I recall from post-injury and rehab, change isn’t very noticeable. You won’t notice anything day to day; more like week to week or month to month. But, again, that’s okay as long as I move forward and stay on schedule for improvement.

My next goal is to be able to take the bus to work June 9 week. Then I hope I will be able to walk 5 blocks to the Metro and take the Metro to work, which will be quicker and more efficient for me. And then, my final goal in Fall – to go for a run. It will be a beautiful, crisp day and I will run after work and feel great.

2 comments:

Betsy W said...

Hi Holly Marie~
Glad to hear your recovery is going well. I, too, have posted to the kalsey blog but have not had all comments posted- I think he is very biased and only posts positive recovery experiences. At 3 1/2 months post surgery I'm finding my biggest problem is the swelling and then limited ROM that comes with it. The knee feels really good upon waking but after being up and moving about for several hours, it becomes stiff. Continuing with ice and tylenol seems to help. Dr has instructed me to continue with the brace when outdoors or in public places. My knee has "slipped" twice so I'm a bit worried about that. As you know, keeping up with PT is most important so do what they tell you and BE SURE to tell them of pain during therapy. Betsy W

Betsy W said...

Hi Holly~ Glad to hear your surgery and recovery are progressing right along. I, too, have messaged to post on kalsey site and entries not printed. I think he is very selective allowing only completely positive info to be viewed. It's amazing to me to read of the differences amongst physicians. Dr M is very conservative and I was with crutches for nearly 10 weeks (though I did cheat some) and I'm still using a brace for anytime outside the house and it's been 3 1/2 months! It's a different brace than the one I came out of surgery with. I think the hardest thing I'm dealing with is the swelling and then the limited ROM. Ice and tylenol are part of my daily routine which provide some comfort but no noticeable reduction in puffiness.