Sunday, May 25, 2008

So Far So Good!

It’s Sunday, the day after my ACL surgery and things seem to be going as well as they can. Surgery went off with out a hitch. I actually walked into the operator room and hopped up on the operating table on my own. I remember a few nurses doing their thing and the anesthesiologist talking to me and the next thing I remember is someone calling my name trying to wake me up. It was over before I knew it. I had some pain at the back of my leg and after my requisite saltine was given a couple of Percocet’s which started to do their thing after about 20 minutes. Thankfully, I was not nauseous after surgery which was a great relief. My surgeon cleaned up some tissue on the front of my knee as well as some damage to the knee cartilage. He said there was no meniscus damage. Things seem to be going in the right direction.

My friends came and fetched me at the hospital. I had problems negotiating the steps on crutches. Walking was fine but I had to come up my steps on my rear as I just couldn’t seem to use the crutches (a mental block of sorts and I just couldn’t get up a step). I have a tolerable level of pain but the nerve block may still be doing its magic and I know the Percocet’s are helping as well. I was able to get to the bathroom on my crutches with no problem, which along with the possibility of feeling nauseous were my two biggest post-surgery concerns. I’ve been using the Polar Care (water/ice machine that circulates cold water around the knee) non-stop since I got home – even during sleep. I actually got several hours of sleep last night even though I was only able to sleep on my back because of the immobilizer brace. I did need to take the pain killers as needed. Actually I needed to take them a bit earlier than was scheduled.

I just spoke to my surgeon and he told me to take my brace off. Most people seem to keep their’s on for 10 days or longer. It felt good to get that thing off my leg. So, I’m not going to argue with my surgeon’s opinion on this. He also said to get off the crutches on Tuesday and bear weight as much as I can without pain – again most folks stay on them longer. It does hurt to move the knee especially lifting or bending it but that is to be expected. I just did a set of leg raises and a set of foot pumps and it wasn't really that bad. The pain killers are working.

Except for the need to replenish the ice in my Polar Care and carry anything (can’t do this and use my crutches), I’m able to do just about everything else. I actually made it downstairs today to feed my cats and make coffee and an english muffin for me. My friend then carried these outside for me and I sat on my deck as it was a beautiful day. I had problem sitting and didn’t want to overdue it so I went back upstairs and got into bed so my leg can be extended and/or elevated and back on the Polar Care.

Now, the boredom is setting in. I have some videos, books and magazines but I’m not all that interested in those. I am having problems with my phone jack and finally was able to fix it (at least for now) and once again I have a phone and DSL connection. So that’s surgery and day 1 post surgery. I’m waiting for the nerve block to wear off and for the pain level to pump up. Then the fun really begins – physical therapy.

1 comment:

Peace aka 1derMama said...

Glad to hear you're up and about, Holly. As someone who is also experimenting with how to balance too many things in your hands in anticipation of a baby soon--may I suggest that you keep a backpack handy. Throw it on to move things around with you. You could also rig upo a little table-tray that hangs from your neck for moving your dinner back and forth. But that might be taking my McGuyverism too far! Do you have a shopping cart? You could roll stuff around :-) Take care, xoxo, Peace