Friday, March 27, 2009

Nine Months & Not All Good

It's been nine months since my ACL surgery and had yet another follow up visit with my surgeon. The pain and swelling I have been experiencing is not quite to be expected at this point. So, I got another cortisone shot. As I remember from my first shot, the results are not immediate and so it is with this shot. It's now 10 days since the shot and I still have pain and some swelling. I'm now wondering if this will ever go away.

The good news is that I am back to doing almost all of my regular activities pre-injury/surgery. I have been going to the gym and am now running and just started doing some yoga but am having trouble with some of the poses, especially of all things, the resting pose as I just am not that flexible yet. I also went back to doing a rehab exercise I used to do. I only did it on my injured leg but decided to do it on the non-injured leg. It was so easy on the non-injured leg that I thought I was doing it wrong. All you do in this exercise is stand on a step with your bad leg; bend the bad leg and then tap the toe of the good leg on the floor. I am still having problems with this but when I did it reversed, it was incredibly easy and simple.

I've also been monitoring the progress of the big-names that had ACL surgery. Gilbert Arena, Washington Wizards, actually had 3 knee surgeries in 18 months. He hasn't played since last April and will give it a try this week. Pre-injury he scored 60 points against the Lakers. Let's see what post surgery brings.

Tiger is at the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill in Orlando. He has won on this course five times as a pro. He rallied to a 68 just behind Jason Gore who is at 65. Let's see if Tiger can bring it home.

I haven't heard much about Tom Brady except that he got married. His orthopedist Dr. James Andrews said recently that he believes Brady's chances are good for a full recovery and CBS SPorts.com reports that Brady should be considered a fine No. 1 Fantasy QB once again.

Of course these guys have had a zillion more PT sessions than I had and have worked with the best in the field during their rehab and recovery. And, my career doesn't rely on my knee. So, I guess for mere mortals like me, perhaps full recovery isn't in the picture.

No comments: