Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Caps, Cortisone & a Grand Jury

What do the Washington Capitols, cortisone and a grand jury have in common – not much except my interest or involvement.

The Caps 4-0 win over the Rangers on Monday night gives Washington a sign of relief and some hope that we can win the series and advance. Finally, DC has a winning team and one for which tickets are hard to come by. I was lucky enough to win a ticket the first playoff game at the Verizon Center. Unfortunately, the Caps lost and it looked like they just fizzled in the last period. However, I finally got to see Ovechkin score a goal. When I go to the games, I try to keep my eye on him and watch him skate. He had some skillful moves skating forward, backwards, sideways and everything in between. Hockey players have also amazed me as they are actually taking on two physical activities: a scoring game of sorts and ice skating at very high levels – not to mention a third physical activity – fighting!

As for the cortisone, I had my second shot at my 11-month post surgery surgeon follow-up. My surgeon said if it didn’t work, he’ll be doing something else in June. It didn’t work so I guess it’s on to something else. My knee just isn’t getting to where it should be and I always “feel it” and have pain on a regular basis. If I ride in a car for several hours, I really feel it. So, I guess my ACL injury refuses to go away and right now it feels like it will be with me forever.

On to the grand jury, which I experienced this morning in DC. I was mugged in January and the guy was caught, thanks to a guy on a moped who following the mugger and led the police to him. Because of a technicality, the mugger was released, and, of course, never showed up for his court date. I’m not sure why the judge left him off in light of his being wanted in six other states. Seems to me he would have been a flight risk and indeed he was. So today there was a grand jury just in case he ever does get caught, DC can try him. At the Grand Jury, I got sworn in and then a U.S. assistant attorney asked me some questions and then I was able to go. Two of the police officers also testified. If the guy is ever caught, a trail will be next on my list of things to do.

So that’s what I’ve been up to the past month or two. Stay tuned for the ACL follow-up to see what is in store for me next.

No comments: