Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Think Things are Finally Happening

Well the doc said expect nothing from around 4-8 weeks; for me it was more like 4-9 weeks. With 9 weeks post-surgery just beginning, I actually, finally can feel my knee bend a little when I walk. The horrible stiff peg-leg sensation is no longer and has been replaced with a bend – an ever so slight bend, but a bend – along with pain. The pain in not a sharp pain but rather it feels like something is in the way and there is some type of resistance. When I try to bend my knee, I feel I am trying to “break through” whatever is there and attempting to do that causes the pain. My PT said the pain is from not being able to relax my quad and other muscles and thus something needs to “give” if the muscles don’t relax and that’s why I experience the pain. So my challenge is not so much physical as it is neurological and to get my mind to signal my muscles to relax. It’s harder than you think; tightening muscles are much easier – at least for me. So if anyone has tips on how I can relax those muscles, let me know. Visualization, hynotics, and so on. I'm getting sleepy.

No comments: