Monday, July 21, 2008

8 Weeks, 24 Minutes & 124 Degrees

It is now 2 months post surgery. My doc told me during my follow up visit that not much happens during weeks 4-8 so here I am just past 8 weeks and I am expecting some things to start happening. I am tired of limping, not be able to come down steps normally, doing the exercises 3 days a day, going to PT 2 times a week, having this knee be the center of my life, and so on. I want to see improvement! I want to walk to the metro and then to run and ride a bike.

Improvement has come but very slowly to date. I can now ride up to 24 minutes on the exercise bike (no resistance yet). My knee will get sore and if I walked a lot (i.e. 4-5 blocks) that day, I’ll cut back to 15 minutes. After riding my exercise bike for almost 6 months, I never want to see this bike when I can finally run and bike. Watch Craigs List for a stationary bike come October. My last ROM measurement was 124 degrees of flexion (140 is normal and what I’m aiming for) so I do have a bit to go yet. The extension is still, as expected, giving me problems and I really need to work on this. And, my knee is still swollen so I ice it 2-3 times a day and take Advil daily.

If all goes well, I hope to be running and riding my bike in the Fall amongst the newly fallen autumn leaves.

No comments: