Wednesday, February 20, 2008

To Have Surgery or Not -- This is the Question!

I go back to the surgeon on February 26 to find out how my knee is doing and what is next. I started not wearing the brace inside to see how strong the knee is. Each step, I fear that the knee will give out. As long as the knee continues to hold its own, there are basically two options: continue physical therapy a few more months to strengthen the knee/supporting muscles (i.e. quad, hamstrings) or have ACL surgery and continue a more tedious physical therapy regime for 4-6 months.

I've been reading and reading about this and there is no clear cut answer - yet - for someone in my position (only tore the ACL, not an athlete, not a spring chicken, willing to give up "level I" activities -- basketball, soccer, skiing, etc. - sports that involve pivoting). As far as the yet part goes, I can wait and see if my knee gives out. I still want to run, bike, do yoga, go to the gym, etc. to stay fit so I'll need to gradually add those activities back into my schedule. If the knee does give out, then surgery raises its ugly head again.

Waiting, though, means doing months of PT now only to do 4-6 months more after surgery. If I take the chance and wait for surgery, I delay getting back to my normal activity level and this whole process is just drug out. If I elect surgery now, I should be back to normal activities in about 1/2 year. But, surgery involves risks (80-90% success rate, infection, problems after surgery, etc.), pain, inconvenience (crutches, depending on people to do just about everything for me, taking off from work, giving up social activities for awhile, etc., etc.).

Let's see what my surgeon says next Tuesday.

No comments: