Thursday, February 14, 2008

3 Weeks & Counting

It has now been over 3 weeks since I tore my ACL. I'm dismayed that my knee is still swollen and it lags behind the other knee. I'm doing PT twice a day to get my extension back but it is discouraging as results seem so minimal. Where will I be at this time after surgery? It probably will take me 6 weeks to get to the point I am now. This is certainly not an easy injury to deal with. The ice that awaited me after work on Tuesday was another joy. I was so fearful of walking as I did not want to fall an do further injury. My knee slipped twice and that was more than I could take.


I was going to drive up to Pennsylvania on Wednesday but because I still have a delayed reaction time with my right foot, I decided to postpone until Thursday, when hopefully the roads will be all clear. I drove up last year, exactly a year ago, during the now infamous "Valentine's Day Storm" and did not want a repeat. It took me 10 hours instead of the average 4.5 hours. I had my 2 cats and was so happy to reach my destination at 1 am. I was on the phone with my Dad who was giving me road updates. At one point, outside of Harrisburg, I needed to decide to take I-78 or I-81. My dad said I-78 was backed up for 10 miles. I knew 81 was closed several exits ahead but I hate delays and thought I could take the back roads the rest of the way so I decided on 81. Good decision! While travel was slow going (the only other vehicles on the road were snow mobiles), I found out the next day, I-78 completely closed down and people were still stranded. Most folks did not get moving until noon. That would not have been fun. It was less fun for the PA DOT as an investigation was ordered to find out what happened. Hopefully, something like this will not be prevented in the future.

No comments: