Thursday, September 13, 2007

Farewell to Summer -- at Least for Now!


It's been one long, hot, humid summer and I for one am glad it's over - at least I hope. No Indian Summers, bring on the Fall. As a final farewell, I went to the beach (Bethany Beach in Delaware) over the weekend. My friend is fortunate enough to have a home there and I am fortunate enough to have her as a friend. I was able to spend my time with good friends (both old and new), watch the Penn State/Notre Dame game (go Nittany Lions); see the dolphins, which is always a delight and I didn't even get sunburned, as I usually do. A lovely weekend indeed.


I am a global warming believer and each dreadfully hot, humid, muggy day in DC convinces me more and more. Not to mention all the crazy weather happening in the world and the hurricanes, ice caps melting, polar bear extinction, increasing death tolls, etc., etc. Egads! Do the Green thing folks and do it now. Every little bit helps. And on a similar band wagon ending note:

"A human being is part of the whole called by us universe , a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty...We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive."-- Albert Einstein

No comments: