Monday, January 19, 2009

I Was There!


I had no expectations of seeing anything during the Inauguration events. I had to tickets and did not plan to arrive early and stand for hours and hours before anything happened. I just decided I'd go to things to be there and whatever I saw, all the better.

On Sunday, I started the day going to a wonderful pro-Obama brunch organized by my friend Natasha, who used to host salons in DC years and years ago. She has quite a list of friends and I knew several folks who came - many from the 9:30 club days.


After a good time at the brunch, I decided to head down to the concert on the Lincoln Memorial. I waited about 30 minutes for the bus and after 2 buses passed packed with people, I decided to walk. As I got closer to the Mall, it seemed like a lot more people were coming back than heading down. I found out that the entrances were closed and they were not letting anymore people in. They herded us to the Washington Monument where there were several jumbotrons set up. The crowd kept getting larger and larger. I managed to squeeze up to the gate in front of the World War II memorial and had a view of the Lincoln Memorial. Being 1/2 mile to 1 mile back, I saw nothing but I was able to watch the jumbotrons set up along the reflecting pool. I got there in time to "see" U2 (I just knew they would play "Pride" and they did) and Obama (my first time hearing in speak in person). I was glad I went to be part of all of this.

The Metro was packed coming back home and after feeding the cats, I headed to a friend's house for cocktails. I saw the end of the Eagles game where they made a great come back only to lose in the end and then kept sneaking into my friend's bedroom to watch the Steelers. Then I met another friend on U Street, which was happening and lines at all the "Obama-related" places like Busboys and Poets and Ben's Chili's Bowl. After a drink at Marvin's (named after Marvin Gayne so this place was packed), we headed to Polly's as I wanted a place with a TV so I could finish watching the game. The bars just got more and more crowded.

My last stop was at my neighbor's house as her father and his friend drove from Wisconsin for the Inauguration and I wanted to stop in and say hello.

So, all in all, it was a long, fun day where I saw many friends, U2, and our next President. I can't remember another time like this ever in DC, or anywhere. It's like New Year's, the Superbowl and Halloween all rolled into one holiday.

I can't wait to see what is in store for tomorrow. I Was There, Part 2, will follow.

No comments: